- This event has passed.
Nurse Assisting Letter Contest
SKILLSUSA STATE COMPETITION PACKET FOR
Dear Nursing Assisting Contestant,
The Nursing Assisting SkillsUSA Event will be held at United Technologies Center in the Health Suite on the second floor. This year, we will use a similar program to previous year’s events. Please refer to the SkillsUSA Website for clothing requirements as well as for all of the necessary equipment, core standards and skills.
The Nurse Assisting Competition will include:
- A 50 question multiple choice exam. The questions will be taken from the Health Occupations Core as outlined in the SkillsUSA Nurse Assisting Competitive Event materials. This exam will be given on the day prior to the competition.
- Stations for the anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, and medical abbreviations.
- The hands on skill events may include any of the skills identified in the SkillsUSA Competitive Event Guidelines. Be sure to review all of the skills that may possibly be part of the competitive event. Possible hands-on skills may include at least 8 of the following:
- Handwashing and gloving
- Obtaining and charting vital signs
- One person transfer from bed to wheelchair, with gait belt
- Assisting a client to walk with a walker/cane
- Documenting Intake and Output
- Assist with or provide range of motion exercises
- Application of an elastic stocking
- Measure and record apical pulse i. Feeding a client
- Demonstrate denture care
- An interview using your resume
During the skills competition, each judge will evaluate you on the following areas:
Organization/plan of work :
(Organization/use of equipment, convenience for the client)
(Toward the patient, supervisors, and tasks)
(Facial expression, ability to listen, ability to lower patient anxiety, ability to interpret and implement oral and written instructions and accuracy of written terminology)
Process: assigned on each rubric for the skill
(Safety measures, procedure knowledge and implementation, accuracy, speed, completeness, comfort for the client, understanding of involved procedures)
You will need to bring a copy of your resume. This will be used during your interview.
Items that are to be supplied by the contestants include: Black pen, wrist watch (with a second hand), all other needed items will be supplied to you at the competition
If you have any questions, please talk with your instructor who will be able to contact one of the competitive event committee members, or
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please remember that the Nurse Assisting competitive event serves as a chance to meet new people and learn new and exciting things. We hope you will enjoy this opportunity to compete with other Nurse Assisting Students in the state. You are the best of the best. The exciting part of this is that one of you will be attending the National SkillsUSA convention. Work hard and let this person be YOU!!
Congratulations on being the person to compete from your school. We know you will make them proud.